AROUND 200 PARTICIPANTS ATTENDED THE WEBINAR ON CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION THROUGH SUSTAINABLE URBAN MOBILITY PLANS (SUMPs), ORGANISED IN COOPERATION WITH DG REGIO, DG MOVE AND DG CLIMA ON 15 SEPTEMBER 2021.
The webinar was targeted to transport planning practitioners and decision makers at local and governmental level throughout Europe.
The JASPERS Networking Platform was created to complement JASPERS project advisory operations by implementing knowledge sharing and capacity building activities, as well as fostering dissemination of good practices and exchange of experiences among all EU Member States, pre-accession Countries and other JASPERS Stakeholders.
The JASPERS Networking Platform is open to relevant authorities from all EU Member States (EU 28), as well as pre-accession Countries.
Urban Mobility causes substantial Green House Gas (GHG) emission. The local contribution to mitigate Climate Change requires a strategic approach. Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) are the most common strategic planning tool for urban mobility, strongly advocated by the European Commission and supported by JASPERS and the EIB at large.
The necessity and urgency to define Climate action objectives in SUMPs has increased and became subject to JASPERS advice in several cities and regions.
The webinar was organised in cooperation with the European Commission and aimed at providing methodological and practical guidance and experience with the definition and integration of Climate Change mitigation objectives into the SUMP, the way to address this in the SUMP process, the shift of the type and scope of measures considered in a SUMP, the relevant indicators and the necessary re-iteration in case the quantitative objectives are not met over time.
The objectives of the webinar were to:
- Raise awareness of participants about the importance of planning GHG reduction strategies at local level and learn how to link them with urban transport targets in SUMPs and potential investments based on them;
- Contribute to preparing future urban mobility investment activities aimed at decarbonising urban transport.
- Ensure participants have the necessary information to define the scope for consultancy engagements for Climate related SUMP updates/revisions.
The webinar has seen the participation of around 200 transport planning practitioners and decision makers at local and governmental level throughout Europe, the Western Balkans and beyond.
Through the various sessions the webinar has provided participants with:
- information on activities, funding tools and initiatives at EU level,
- methodological guidance in defining and monitoring climate change mitigation objectives in sustainable urban mobility planning,
- overview of the way urban mobility is addressed in local climate strategies,
- experience from a number of cities and regions with actual approaches in integrating climate change mitigation objectives into SUMPs and the impact of measures defined on that basis and
- information on the importance of a solid strategic basis for urban mobility projects financed by the EIB.
A BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE WEBINAR IS UNDER PREPARATION AND WILL SOON BE AVAILABLE ON THIS PAGE.
For more information please see the detailed agenda and presentations available on this page.
For any further enquiry on this webinar and in general on the activities of the JASPERS Networking Platform please write an email to email@example.com